In the process of taking care of puppies, many people cannot help but be surprised when they first separate the puppies from their mother. Food and their milk will gradually be replaced in daily meals. So let’s learn how to take care of newly separated puppies with Pet Grooming Salon Spa Groomtopia?
When is a good time to wean the puppies?
- Puppies are usually brought to a new home from about 8 weeks old, so 4 weeks old is a good time to wean the puppies. Wean early to ensure their stomachs can handle the new food instead of mother’s milk.
- According to the researchers, it is not good to wean too early as it might cause health and behavioural issues later, with symptoms such as aggression or fear. So after 24 days, we can start gradually weaning and feeding the puppy its first meals.
- You can start weaning the puppies by introducing them to porridge or milk, the best way is to prepare a bowl of liquid food such as porridge.
- There are different foods that breeders choose for their dogs: baked kibble, home cooked food, balanced raw food. Does not matter which kind you choose the best way to start feeding the little puppies is with soft and warm food. You use a blender to mix 2 bowls of dry food with about 400 ml of puppy milk and hot water. In the same manner you can prepare homemade meal with warm goat milk or puppy milk. If you decide to go with raw food you would warm up the blended meet and organs, make sure it is not hot, you can add warm goat milk or just warm water to make it a bit more liquidy.
Following a scientific diet is the best way to care for a newly separated puppy
After separation, you should pay attention to eating and drinking, and you should feed the puppies on time. This is a condition to help your puppy build good habits.
- No matter what they are busy playing or what happens, they always know the feeding time. Or sometimes you forget, they can remind you.
- The puppy’s food should always be warm, preferably at the puppy’s body temperature, helping the puppy to have a good digestive system to avoid inflammatory bowel diseases, diarrhea.
- At the beginning do not give the puppies cold food, because it can cause the indigestion and will bring a lot of discomfort and diarrhia.
- If the food is not consumed during the 15 minutes, you should take it away as the soft food can breed bacteria and will effect puppies’ health.
- Not only food but also regular drinking water for the puppies should always be fresh and the water bowls should be washed as often as 2 times a day.
Food is suitable for newly separated puppies
- Puppies that have been separated from their mother must be fed with high quality food whether it is kibbles or homemade or raw balanced food. They must be fed in quantities measured according to their weight, therefore it is important to weigh the puppies every day. The quality nutrition with provide a good health and strong bodies.
- You can start feeding the puppies with solid food once they are completely weaned off their mother. Dry food like baked kibbles or freeze dry raw is an effective and convenient way to feed the puppies.
- Once the puppies are completely separated from their mother and they go to their new homes the new owners must be prepared to start caring for the newcomers. One of the important things to know is that the proper and peaceful rest for a young puppy is as vital as a quality nutrition. After each meal a puppy needs to rest for at least an hour, therefore walking or playing with your puppy should be done either before the meal or an hour after. Letting the puppy to exercise right after eating can cause regurgitation or vomiting.
Vaccination to prevent puppies
In order to prevent hazardous sicknesses the little puppies should get their first vaccines. Your veterinarian will advise you the proper protocol for the vaccination. Usually the first vaccine is administrated at 6-8 weeks old, then repeats at 12-14 weeks and finishes with the last booster at 16-18 weeks old.
Keeping the puppies’ place clean all the time is very important for puppies’ health. De-worming the puppies at the right time, usually a vet will prescribe a de-wormer during the first vaccination, and it will be given to puppies on the next day after the vaccination, will prevent the puppies from getting parasitic infestation.
Prepare a well-ventilated, stable, and clean place for your puppy
The rule to remember when taking care weaned puppies is to avoid sudden temperature changes, too low, or too high temperatures, all of which affect the little ones’ health. The weaned puppies should be kept in a very clean and warm area, wind draft free and ideally fenced, which will prevent the puppies to wonder away and get trapped somewhere under or behind a piece of furniture.These conditions will promote the healthy growth of puppies.
Air drafts or high heat can cause health problems for the little puppies. That is why the place chosen for puppies must be away from heaters, windows and balcony or patio doors.
Fresh pee-pads, clean blankets and covers, good ventilation, clean water and washed bowls will ensure the health of the puppies. Whereas accumulated faeces, dirty covers, old unfinished food scattered around will breed bacteria and parasites that will cause nothing but harm to the little ones.
Above is the basic information about proper care for the weaned and very young puppies.